Filed under NEWS

Ninth graders prepare for NOLS Arrow Week

Archer+Freshman+%28class+of+%2722%29+wait+for+their+meeting+to+begin.+The+meeting+discussed+all+aspect+of+their+upcoming+NOLS+trip.+

Archer Freshman (class of '22) wait for their meeting to begin. The meeting discussed all aspect of their upcoming NOLS trip.

Photo credit: Emma London

Photo credit: Emma London

Photo credit: Emma London

As spring approaches, the freshman class is preparing for their ninth grade Arrow Week expedition, which will take place from March 15 to March 22. On Monday, Jan. 14, freshmen had a meeting to discuss everything from what gear they will need to how hiking groups will be made.

The expedition is run by the National Outdoor Leadership School [NOLS] each year for seventh, ninth, and 11th-grade classes. The classes split into smaller hiking groups, which backpack through either Arizona or New Mexico.

“I’m a little apprehensive about Arrow Week,” freshman Thea Leimone said. “It’s a whole week out in the wilderness. I’m also a little nervous about the groups, but I’m excited because I’ve done a couple trips like this before. It’ll be a new opportunity, and I’m excited to meet new people.”

Because a majority of Archer students have been on at least one NOLS trip, younger students often receive advice or hear rumors from older students.

“I’ve heard that a lot of people make friendships with people they never thought they would,” freshman Andrea Ramirez said. “I’ve also heard it’s really fun and challenging in some ways, but that [the challenge] makes it fun.”

Students have heard about some of the challenges faced during Arrow Week, such as hygiene, but remain “excited” about the new experience.

“I’ve heard a couple rumors about using the bathroom…if you’re on your period…the girls who did it in seventh grade sometimes talk about how gross it gets,” Leimone said. “But I’m looking forward to meeting new people and just exploring new places.”

About the Contributors
Nicki Rosenberg, Managing Editor

Nicki Rosenberg joined the Oracle in 2017 and is excited to continue writing. She serves as a member on the Eastern Star Gallery board and is also a member...

Emma London, Staff Writer

Emma London joined the Oracle as a correspondent in 2017 and as a staff writer in 2018. She is on Archer's equestrian team and plays the viola in upper...

1 Comment

One Response to “Ninth graders prepare for NOLS Arrow Week”

1. Anna on January 30th, 2019 1:18 pm

My favorite part of Archer- enjoy!

• Ninth graders prepare for NOLS Arrow Week

Archer celebrates Galentine’s Day with cookie sale for Planned Parenthood

Community Service Leadership Board hosts event for Found Animals

A pig deal: Archer celebrates Chinese New Year

Best Buddies Club hosts Valentine’s Day dance party

Dancers preview upcoming Night of Dance, ‘highlight unsung heroes’

Black Student Union leaders preview Black History Month

High School Drama: Archer’s theater troupe performs ‘cute,’ ‘satirical’ scenes

Archer hosts annual Diversity, Equity, Inclusion Conference

Middle School Director Karen Pavliscak teaches middle school about growth mindset, sloths

Ninth grade hears from religion panel during unit on religion, culture