Filed under NEWS

Archer celebrates Galentine’s Day with cookie sale for Planned Parenthood

Student+Body+President+Juliet+Youssef+%2719+and+Executive+Board+member+Grace+Wilson+%2720+hand+out+Diddy+Riese+cookies+to+Archer+students.+The+phrase+%22Galentine%27s+Day%22+was+made+famous+by+the+television+show+%22Parks+and+Recreation.%22+

Student Body President Juliet Youssef '19 and Executive Board member Grace Wilson '20 hand out Diddy Riese cookies to Archer students. The phrase

Student Body President Juliet Youssef '19 and Executive Board member Grace Wilson '20 hand out Diddy Riese cookies to Archer students. The phrase "Galentine's Day" was made famous by the television show "Parks and Recreation."

Photo credit: Lola Lamberg

Photo credit: Lola Lamberg

Photo credit: Lola Lamberg

As part of the current Community Service Leadership Board’s [CSLB] Philanthropy February celebration, Student Council and the CSLB came together on Feb. 13 to celebrate “Galentine’s Day” with a Diddy Riese cookie sale to raise money for Planned Parenthood. 

A long table with red and pink decorations was set up by grade representatives on the front veranda with three boxes filled with an assortment of Diddy Riese cookies. In addition to the cookies, the student council had jars of frosting and sprinkles that students who purchased a cookie could decorate with. 

CSLB Vice President of Communications Kelsey Thompson ’20 and the rest of the board decided that Planned Parenthood would receive proceeds because of its differences from other organizations the board has worked with.

“In the past, we’ve done a lot of work with environmental organizations, homeless shelters and things like that,” Thompson said. “We really wanted to change it up and do a bake sale for a cause that we felt was important to us as a community.”

Students were allowed to wear pink and red accessories to go along with the Galentine’s theme in celebration.

“Galentine’s Day is a great way to celebrate your friends,” senior Student Body President Juliet Youssef said. “We just want to celebrate the sisterhood and the bonds and friendships we make here at Archer.”

In addition to this “Galentine’s Day” cookie sale, there will be a total of nine other upcoming events during this month of Philanthropy February to give students an opportunity to help others and give back to the community. The next event sponsored by CSLB will be a “Blood Drive Lunch and Learn Celebration” held on Feb. 25.  

About the Contributors
Lola Lamberg, Voices Editor

Lola Lamberg joined the Oracle in 2017 as a political columnist and is now the Voices Editor. In her spare time she enjoys listening to 90's music, reading...

Chloe Richards, Staff Writer

Chloe Richards joined the Oracle as a Staff Writer in the 2018. She is on the Varsity Tennis Team at Archer, is in the Upper School Choir and participates...