Students comment on ‘materialistic,’ exclusive culture of Valentine’s Day

Photo credit: Lola Lamberg

These Valentine’s day cards from journalism adviser Kristin Taylor are an example of non-romantic Valentine’s Day festivities. Though these cards were used to build community in the journalism class, sophomore Gabby Wolf feels that Valentine’s Day is a “materialistic” holiday that is overly focused on couples.

By Nyah Fernandez, Multimedia Editor

Valentine’s Day: the annual day that falls on Feb. 14, where individuals celebrate love and affection with chocolate, cards or floral bouquets. Derived originally from Saint Valentine’s Day and the Feast of Saint Valentine, Valentine’s Day is typically associated with couples and romantic relationships. Sophomore Isa Specchierla, however, believes that Valentine’s Day  should be celebrated by “more than just couples.”

“Valentine’s day should be celebrated with your family and anyone you love in general and people you love in your life,” Specchierla said.

Sophomore Gabby Wolf feels that Valentine Day negatively impacts the self-confidence of people who do not have a valentine to spend the day with.

“[Valentine’s Day] is really only ‘okay’ for certain groups of people and couples; there is a stigma with it,” Wolf said. “I feel a way to break down the stigma would be doing it for family or even friends and it to not be so much about romanticizing [Valentine’s Day].” 

Wolf feels that Valentine’s Day is a “materialistic” holiday, as couples often choose to express their love for one another by purchasing flowers or chocolates. The pressure to buy gifts often originates on social media, she said.

“[Social media] manipulates expectations a lot of times,” Wolf said. “I guess it is a lot of pressure; a guy or girl whoever is making that day really special for someone is again being forced with materialistic stuff by getting that person objects. However, it really should be you loving everyone around you.”

Specchierla agrees with Wolf in that social media plays a “big part” in Valentine’s Day as a whole.

“It just makes me feel like I should aspire to have a relationship when I should just be appreciating my life right now and just being single,” Speccchierla said.

Freshman Penelope Bisley feels that Archer should incorporate a new activity on Valentine’s Day in order to make the community “closer.” 

“At other schools I have been to, we would have a day to just pass out candy to everyone in your grade,” Bisley said. “You would get those little packets of Fun Dips, and I think that would be so much better. Archer talks about community and I feel like it would be a great time to get close with your community because I feel like Valentine’s is made for getting close to people.”

Bisley also thinks that Valentine’s Day should not be just one day celebrating the ones you love but every day.

“Why is one day so important? I feel like people do love their family and friends every single day, but this one day is the day you buy chocolates and flowers,” Bisley said. “Why not do that every day if you really love them?”