Archer’s Grandparents and Special Friends’ Day tradition continues

At the end of November, middle schoolers fill the halls wearing purple polos, khaki skirts, and white cardigans. They are not alone in these hallways—friendly, unfamiliar faces are everywhere.  What does this mean? It’s Grandparents and Special Friends’ Day at Archer.

Grandparents and Special Friends’ Day is rooted in tradition, which is important to a school as young as Archer.  Having recurring celebrations helps give the Archer community something to look forward to year after year. The event this year took place Nov. 22.

Brittany Schoof, Archer’s Advancement Office Coordinator and Admissions Assistant, coordinates the event. She told the Oracle about what goes into planning an event like this: “It’s very hectic, but always worth it because of the joy it brings.”

Elizabeth English speaks to the middle school and their guests. Photographer: Daniel In

Her favorite part is “seeing the looks on the grandparents’ faces and how excited they are to hear Ms. English talk, to see Archer, and to see their girls.”

Archer girls are here day after day, so it is easy to become desensitized to factors that make our school so enjoyable: the atmosphere, the architecture, and the personality. But just a quick day at Archer can make family members even prouder of us.

The day isn’t just fun for the guests.  Seventh grader Juliet Youssef ’19 told the Oracle, “Grandparents’ Day was a blast! My grandparent thought they were walking through paradise, and I got to see them enjoy the school.”  Kelsey Mumford ’19 also enjoyed the day.  When the Oracle asked her why she liked it so much, she said, “I like Grandparents’ Day because it gives my grandparents a chance to see my school and to learn what I’m learning.”

This day is something that can make a lasting impact on a student’s memories. Syd Stone ’16 recalls, “I remember showing my grandparents around my classes and being so proud and happy to share my accomplishments with my loved ones.”