Archer Predicts Academy Awards

Viewers grip the sides of their couches while actors and directors grip their Valentino dresses as Academy Awards anticipation strikes. Whether you watch to see the dazzling dresses your favorite stars wear, or you are dragged to a family friend’s house to watch it with your parents, the Academy Awards is one of Hollywood’s most prized events of the year.

The 86th Annual Academy Awards will be held in Beverly Hills on Mar. 2 and hosted by Ellen DeGeneres. The categories range from “Best Movie” to “Best Costumes.”

In an all school and faculty survey, the Oracle asked students and teachers about their predicted winners for this year’s Oscars in a few of these categories.

One Archer student states that the Academy Awards “makes me sad because there are so many other amazing movies out there that should have been nominated for awards but didn’t because they didn’t have an A-List cast or a famous director,” but many other students are excited for the ceremony.

If you are watching for the dresses, the best director category, or because the salsa and guacamole dip at the party tastes good, this year’s Academy Awards will be dazzling, competitive, and yummy!

Click on an image below to start the slideshow and see Archer’s predictions for the winners:

• Best Original Song in a motion picture includes “Saving Mr. Banks” scored by Thomas Newman and “The Book Thief” scored by John Williams, which earned more than half the votes at Archer but lost by 13% to “Saving Mr. Banks.”

• 88% of the students believed that “Frozen” was the best-animated movie this year. One student wonders “why ‘Monsters U’ wasn’t nominated.”

• Archer predicts that Best Supporting Actress will go to Jennifer Lawrence for “American Hustle.” An Archer student tells the Oracle that “Jennifer Lawrence and Nicholas Hoult are back together.” Good to know!

• Actor Bradley Cooper is speculated to win best supporting actor for his portrayal of “Richie” in “American Hustle.”

• Sandra Bullock in “Gravity,” Cate Blanchet in “Blue Jasmine,” and Amy Adams in “American Hustle” were all close to a tie for Best Actress, but Sandra Bullock pulled in 4 more votes than her other fellow nominees.

• 50% of the Archer girls voted Leonardo DiCaprio as the Best Actor for “Wolf of Wall Street.” Helena Heslov ’16 says, “He excelled in this controversial role.”

• For Best Picture, “Her” reined in the most votes from the Archer community.

• “Gravity” director Alfonso Cuaron is the presumed winner for Best Director. The director of “12 Years a Slave,” Steve McQueen, and “American Hustle” director David O’ Russel also are Archer favorites this year. One archer students bluntly says, “American Hustle was terrible.”