Ceramics teacher leaves Archer, sculpts legacy

A white glazed vase with flowers sits on a surface. This piece of ceramics was made by intro student Ella Tulloch (’27) in Moon’s class. (Photo credit: Ella Tulloch)

Nestled in the basement, next to the library and photography room, sits the ceramics studio. This is where ceramics teacher Olivia Moon teaches her students the art of sculpting, throwing on the potting wheel and expressing themselves through art.

Moon has taught at Archer for the past seven years. She teaches the introduction, intermediate and advanced ceramics classes and the eighth grade semester-long ceramics and sculpture class. Moon is leaving Archer next year to work as an artist full-time in Sacramento.

Moon was born and raised in Korea until she was 10, when she moved to Lima, Peru. When she was 15, Moon moved to Los Angeles, where she has lived since. Moon said she became a teacher because she loved attending school as a kid, and she appreciates the classroom environment.

“[School is] a place where learning happens and a lot of growth happens,” Moon said. “I’m a person who truly believes in growth mindsets, and I’m an individual who loves to learn new things. That’s why I like to keep learning.”

Throughout her time at Archer, Moon has created her own ceramics pieces, in addition to teaching. Visual Arts Department Chair Marya Alford said that arts teachers’ own work can often be forgotten because they are primarily focused on teaching. To teach her students different techniques, Moon often gives demonstrations in class. Ceramics student Echo Meadows (’25) said she sees Moon’s passion for ceramics during demonstrations. She also said she enjoys seeing Moon’s art in the classroom.

“She’s still working on her professional career while being a teacher, which is just an amazing opportunity for all students to learn from someone who’s actively involved in participating in the industry,” Meadows said.

Moon said her goal was always to become a full-time artist by age 40, so she recently decided to explore new options for her career. She said she wanted a break from the chaos and bustling city of Los Angeles, so when her husband received a job offer in Sacramento, she started to look for opportunities to start her own studio in the area.

Another factor that contributed to Moon’s decision to relocate to Sacramento was so she could spend more time with her child. On weekdays, Moon had to leave for work in the mornings, so she did not get to spend much time with her son.

“He knows that mom is not there in the morning, but that’s going to change,” Moon said. “I will have more time with my son, which I’m really happy about, and I will also have more time for myself.”

Moon said being both a teacher and a mom means she is always taking care of people. She is looking after her students, when she is teaching at Archer, and she is playing with and setting a good example for her son when she is at home.

“I feel like my mind is really full, always,” Moon said. “Someone is always on my mind, whether it’s a student because their senior show is coming up or my son because I heard something from his teacher.”

Moon said it is important for her to recharge and rest in order to bring energy to everything she does each day. She said that while she is always busy, she enjoys what she does.

“It’s very tiring — I’m not going to lie,” Moon said. “But, you smile through the whole thing, so it’s totally worth it.”

As a teacher, Moon said she wanted to expand students’ perspective on ceramics by showcasing how it can be a form of expression. During her time at Archer, Alford said Moon has never kept her curriculum stagnant – she’s constantly developing, expanding and pushing her work as a teacher to be better.

“In seven years, she’s become a master teacher in this beautiful way,” Alford said. “I’ve learned a lot from her.”

Meadows said that Moon caters to individuals’ learning styles while teaching, in order to tap into each of her students’ skills. She also frequently gives in-depth feedback to all of her students.

“Whether it’s more hands-on or visual, she provides a lot of different opportunities for students to showcase their skills,” Meadows said. “She’s just a really thoughtful person.”

Alford said Moon presented a new voice to the ceramics program. While she said she felt heartbroken when she learned Moon was moving away, Alford said her sadness was replaced with a sense of pride in Moon for pursuing her own goals.

“She’s super passionate and dedicated to her work as teacher, but also her own practice,” Alford said. “She’s inspiring.”