Filed under VOICES, WHIMSIES

Six creative DIY Halloween costumes

While Halloween may be a few weeks away, it is never too early to start planning for your costume. Here are some easy do-it-yourself Halloween costumes to help you out. Infographic by Nelly Rouzroch.

Halloween is one of the best holidays of the year, filled with spooks and frights. With Halloween only 16 days away, now is the perfect time to start brainstorming ideas for an awesome costume.

Here are some easy do-it-yourself (or DIY) Halloween costumes from previous years that Archer girls made. Maybe they will provide some inspiration as the special day quickly approaches. All of these costumes can be made with items typically found in your closet, so get ready to walk the runway!

1. NOLS  Instructor

Grab your favorite workout clothes and mug to be a NOLS instructor. For an extra challenge, bring a backpack and fleece!

Photo by Cybele Zhang
Anna Allgeyer ’18 shows off her NOLS instructor costume in 2017. Archer students have the chance to go on three NOLS courses before graduation.

2. Sushi

Salmon, tuna, yellowtail— the world is your oyster! All you need for this sushi costume is chopsticks, a pillow, white shirt and black cloth.

Photo by Saskia Wong-Smith
From left to right: Sydney Shintani ’18, Cybele Zhang ’18 and Cat Oriel ’18 dress up as sushi for Halloween. Last year, they won most creative costume in Archer’s costume contest.

3. Dinosaur

Grab a green shirt and glue some felt triangles onto your back for an instant dinosaur look. Tiny arms optional.

Photo by Cybele Zhang
Class of 2018 advisors dressed a dinosaurs from Jurassic Park last year. This is an easy and fun costume to do with a group of friends.

4. Where’s Waldo

Found him! This Where’s Waldo costume is simple and cute.  Just throw on a red striped shirt and a pair of jeans. Try accessorizing with black glasses and a red and white beanie.

Photo by Syd Stone
Stella Gregg ’20, India Berman ’20, Helena Bode ’20, Kelsey Thompson ’20, Abbie Sagadencky ’20 and Alizeh Davis Jarrahy ’20 show off their Halloween costumes in 2014. Where’s Waldo is an easy and fun costume.

5. Mario and Luigi

Grab your best bud and dress up as the famous duo Mario and Luigi. All this costume needs is overalls, a red or green shirt and the hat labeled with an L or M.

Regina Valitova ’18 and Claire Bardin ’18 pose together as Mario and Luigi. Top off this costume with the iconic Mario and Luigi hats. Photo courtesy of Bardin.

6. Farmer

Got milk? For this simple and fast farmers costume, all you need is a flannel and a pair of overalls.

Made with a flannel and overalls, this farmers outfit is perfect for a simple and easy Halloween costume. Accessorize the outfit with an additional farmers hat. Image courtesy of Rouzroch.

We hope you enjoy some of these do-it-yourself Halloween costumes. Be sure to take lots of pictures and eat tons of candy!

About the Photographers
Cybele Zhang, Editor-in-Chief
Cybele Zhang joined the Oracle writing staff in 2015. She was promoted to Sports Editor as a sophomore and to Editor-in-Chief as a senior. Over the summer of 2016, she interned at the Asian Journal, an international Filipino newspaper. She has been part of Archer’s Dance Company since 2012, where she is the current Community...
Nelly Rouzroch, Multimedia Editor
Nelly Rouzroch joined the Oracle Staff during the 2015 year and became the new Multimedia Editor in 2016. She attended Ignite Journalism University in summer 2016 to focus on how multimedia can enhance journalistic storytelling. She is in Dance Company and has been a part of Archer’s Dance Troupe since 2012. She loves anything related to...
2 Comments

2 Responses to “Six creative DIY Halloween costumes”

1. Scarlet Levin on October 19th, 2017 12:01 am

Such a great piece, and such cute costumes!

2. Sofia Escontrias on October 24th, 2017 7:11 pm

I love this idea of writing something about costumes because I have been stuck for a while and now I now I have a better idea on what I want to do!!
    I an interested in seeing more of these. I also think it would be interesting if you wrote about different XBlocks.
    ♥️♥️♥️

• Six creative DIY Halloween costumes

OPINION

Letter from the Editor

• Six creative DIY Halloween costumes

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Stop Buying Water from Nestle

• Six creative DIY Halloween costumes

OPINION

Editorial: More than an elective — The necessity of student journalism

• Six creative DIY Halloween costumes

OPINION

Op-Ed: Reducing carbon emissions one footprint at a time

• Six creative DIY Halloween costumes

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Plastic Waste

• Six creative DIY Halloween costumes

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: The chicken in your nuggets is probably abused

• Six creative DIY Halloween costumes

OPINION

Op-Ed: Panther Pride? — Archer’s mascot needs an update

• Six creative DIY Halloween costumes

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: An eye for an eye and the Holy Land will die

• Six creative DIY Halloween costumes

OPINION

Letter from the Editor: A Final Farewell

• Six creative DIY Halloween costumes

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Column: Why I Cry at the Movies