Filed under FEATURES

Class of 2018 says goodbye to high school, reflects on college process

Seniors+Sophie+Goldberg%2C+Erica+Dick+and+Noa+Diamond+pose+for+a+picture+on+May+1%2C+College+Decision+Day.+Goldberg+will+be+attending+the+University+of+Michigan+in+Ann+Arbor%2C+Dick+will+be+attending+the+University+of+Wisconsin-Madison%2C+and+Diamond+will+be+attending+Washington+University+in+St.+Louis.+
Seniors Sophie Goldberg, Erica Dick and Noa Diamond pose for a picture on May 1, College Decision Day. Goldberg will be attending the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Dick will be attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and Diamond will be attending Washington University in St. Louis.

Photo credit: Molly Goldberg

Photo credit: Molly Goldberg

In three days, members of the Class of 2018 will walk across the graduation stage, diplomas in hand, ready to begin the next chapter in their lives.

As the time to leave Archer quickly approaches, many seniors are reflecting on their time in high school. The Oracle sat down with members of the graduating class to hear advice that they want to pass on to the rising seniors, who are beginning the college process themselves.

Senior Noa Diamond, who will be attending Washington University in St. Louis in the fall, said that her top choice changed drastically after touring schools.

“Don’t have tunnel vision on one specific school. You can’t really know if you belong at a school unless you step foot on the campus,” Diamond said. “I toured a school that wasn’t even high up on my radar, and it ended up being the school I’m going to now.”

Additionally, she offered a piece of advice about writing the personal statement essay.

“Try not to be too stressed about the process. Enjoy writing your personal statement, and actually write about something that interests you,” she said. “I had to look deep into myself to find something to write about. Don’t just write about something that you think is going to make you look good, write about something you are truly passionate about. Just be authentic.”

Fellow senior Erica Dick gave similar advice and said the most important thing in the process is to be yourself. 

“My biggest piece of advice would be not to do things just to put it on your college applications,” Dick said. “Be true to yourself and don’t overthink it.”

Dick is an incoming freshman at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

“If you get a gut feeling that you really love a school and want something, go with that gut instinct,” sbe said. “It doesn’t matter what your friends want or what your parents want, go with what makes you happy.”

Below is an interactive map, displaying all of the colleges that the Class of 2018 will be attending next year.