Archer explores color with ‘Hue Saturation Value’

One of Meg Cranston's pieces from

One of Meg Cranston's pieces from "Hue Saturation Value." The exhibit emphasizes different colors and geometric shapes.

Swatches of color filled the Eastern Star Gallery on Friday, Nov. 9. Four canvases hung on the walls, painted with rectangles in all different shades. This was the gallery’s new show, presented by artist Meg Cranston and titled “Hue Saturation Value.”

“Cranston is fascinated by the idea that color is defined by different geometries and that [one] is able to find different harmonies and properties and ways that color can emphasize other colors or can compare to geometric sources,” senior and Gallery Board member Aviva Intveld said.

Each visitor was offered a pamphlet to vote on which colors he or she liked the best. The top eight colors will be incorporated into a new piece that Cranston will unveil on Monday, Dec. 3.

“People will be able to see both what colors they connect to and what [colors] make them feel calm or at peace, or whatever emotion they’re feeling. I know when we were doing install the other day, people were pointing at certain colors and saying, ‘that’s the one,'” senior and Gallery Board member Isabel Kuh said.

The gallery board explained that the voting aspect of Hue Saturation Value was meant to promote viewer interaction.

“The gallery program wanted to involve Archer more,” senior and gallery photographer Marley Chaney said. “Having these pamphlets and having [the Archer community] more engaged — that was definitely something we wanted out of it.”

Community members expressed appreciation for the aesthetic of the exhibit.

“I think that the expression of colors is the most beautiful thing you can do,” sophomore artist Kaeli McLeod said. “It’s just really simplistic and lovely and there’s so many different varieties and shades.”

The artist and gallery board said they hope to open viewers’ minds into color’s effect on their day-to-day lives.

“When we were developing the theme and the idea of the show, Meg talked a lot about her experience with color as something that is monetized or capitalized upon [by other] color companies,” Intveld said. “I hope that the Archer community will explore that [aspect a] little bit and maybe think about a different side to the visual world.”

About the Writers
Allie Worchell, Multimedia Editor

Allie Worchell joined The Oracle writing staff in 2017.  This year she is excited to be a member of the editorial board as the Multimedia Editor.  In...

Rio Hundley, Staff Writer

Rio Hundley wrote her first article for the Oracle in 2017, as a culture correspondent. She is very excited to be joining this year as a staff writer....