‘Pumpkin’d’: Sophomore class plays Hot Pumpkin, a take on the game Assassin

Photo credit: Eleni Karamanos

Liora Ginzburg, from Salphie Sekayan’s mentorship group, sits with a pumpkin on her head after being “pumpkin’d” as part of a game being played by the sophomore class. During the final week of October, the sophomore class played a game of Hot Pumpkin, a take on the game Assassin. This game was one of the many Halloween festivities taking place on Archer’s campus.

By Cadence Callahan, Voices Editor

Pumpkins in lockers, hoodies and on top of heads. This past week, the sophomore class played their own version of Assassin. The game is called Hot Pumpkin and was created by the sophomore class representatives.

The game began on Oct. 25 and ended on Oct. 29, coinciding with the multiple Halloween festivities happening on Archer’s campus. The game was played between mentorship groups paired with one another. The rules were as follows: mentorship teams shared one pumpkin labeled with their mentors’ names on either side. The pumpkin was originally hidden around campus, and the mentorship groups had to locate it and then pass the pumpkin off to the opposing teams’ members in a creative way.

There was a “picture or it didn’t happen” rule, meaning participants had to document their way of giving the pumpkin to the opposing team in order to receive points. Although the game was focused primarily on the students, sophomore mentors were “pumpkin’d” as well. The goal of the game is to get as many pictures and videos of the opposing team with the shared pumpkin.

According to sophomore representative Amelia Hines, the reps were inspired by the senior class’ game of Assassin.

[The game] is definitely interesting, because it’s a different twist on Halloween and just a fun activity to do.

— Micaela Wachler '24

“We saw everyone running around campus, and we thought that as representatives, we should have an activity in that spirit where people are really into the game,” Hines said. “The game gives students an excuse to connect with people they wouldn’t normally see or have a chance to talk to.”

Sophomore Alondra Atrian said the game was an enjoyable experience and was a good way to connect with her classmates. 

“You all really have to work together to think of creative ways to pumpkin someone, because creativity is a big part of the game,” Atrian said.

Students “pumpkin’d” their opponents in various ways such as hiding the pumpkin in their locker for one point, in their backpack for two points or placing it on an opponent for three points.

Computer Science teacher Kelly Lougheed’s and Math teacher Michelle Hogan’s mentorships tied for first place with a total of 17 points.

Sophomore class representative Tess Hubbard said she wanted the game to be something students could look forward to throughout the week. Although the representatives haven’t explicitly discussed the game becoming a class tradition, Hubbard said she is in support of the idea.

“It would be really nice if this became a tradition, or if we do something similar for different holidays,” Hubbard said. “I think that would be super fun and having something just special for our grade would be so awesome.”