Filed under COLUMNISTS, VOICES

Column: An Invitation to Radical Quiet

Column: An Invitation to Radical Quiet

In an empty English classroom during her free period, Ruby Colby ‘19 studies...quietly? The room may be quiet during her free period, but from books to screens, Colby is processing a lot of mental noise.

Photo credit: Wendy Deming

Photo credit: Wendy Deming

Photo credit: Wendy Deming

This column is part of a series written by teacher guest writers on a topic they are interested in exploring. This was submitted to The Oracle for review by the Editorial Board.

I often fantasize about slapping the iPhones out of upper schoolers’ hands during passing periods. I wilt a bit every time I see a middle schooler sneaking a peek at her Instagram feed during lunch. It’s not because I am 100 percent anti-device or anti-social-media; it’s more that I want to see young people give themselves a break.

In a meditation class the other day, my teacher mentioned that we process two million stimuli every moment. In an article I read this morning, it pointed out that currently, we take in more than five times the daily information a human did in 1986. While not all of this stimuli or information is in the form of noise, processing all of it creates mental noise — additional cacophony on top of the conversations, to-do lists, classroom activities, grading, play rehearsals, group projects, essays and science labs that our brains toil over. In those precious in-between moments of a passing period, a walk to the restroom, a commute home or sitting at a courtyard table for lunch, your brain should wander and daydream. In its seemingly aimless rambling, your brain is actually sorting through its short-term memory to decide what needs to be sent to long-term memory. Kind of a big deal. Plus, in those meandering mental moments, some of your most creative ideas can emerge. 

If in those in between moments, you look at a screen, tap that notification, check an email, skim a news feed, your brain starts processing that input — regardless of how meaningful or meaningless the input may be. This constant flow of work hinders the brain’s sorting function and creates mental fatigue. Mental fatigue stimulates stress and stress manifests in intense physical and emotional ways. That’s why I am into the idea of radical quiet, making it a priority to quiet the stream of “noise” in our input-saturated world.

Archer’s effervescence is infectious. This place has brought me out of my shell, and I revel in the opportunities to dress up and become the drunkard from The Little Prince,  listen to a dynamic guest speaker or collaborate with colleagues. At the same time, on this extroverted and screen-focused campus, quiet and calm can be hard to find even though we know how vital intermittent peace is to our intellectual and emotional performance. And, I am partly responsible for the noise on this campus. If you’ve ever been in my classroom, you know we talk a lot, use tons of digital resources and the lessons move at a brisk cadence.

Because of my stimuli-driven daily workflow, I have to make space in my life outside of school for halting the avalanche of noise. I practice meditation, take extended breaks from social media, stare out the windows of my living room, do yoga, write, collect tiny things and kick-it in nature as often as possible.

I’d like to integrate more quiet practices into Archer life. Holler at me if you’d like to share in the quiet.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Column: An Invitation to Radical Quiet”

1. Elizabeth Ryan on May 8th, 2018 9:03 am

A quiet, supportive ‘yes’ from my corner! Well said Ms Deming.

2. Elana Goldbaum on May 8th, 2018 3:51 pm

I accept this invitation! I’m looking forward to talking as a community about integrating more quiet – of all kinds – on our campus. Thank you, Ms. Deming, for this thought-provoking piece. I had never really considered “mental noise” before and this really has me thinking…

• Column: An Invitation to Radical Quiet

COLUMNISTS

Column: What it’s actually like being Latina in the classroom

COLUMNISTS

Column: Lights, Camera, Action — Street Food Cinema’s groovy outdoor movies

COLUMNISTS

Column: Let them eat…pretzels?

COLUMNISTS

Column: Killing two birds with one stoner — marijuana industry affects native wildlife

COLUMNISTS

Column: Why would I mispronounce my name?

COLUMNISTS

Thrifting and sifting: An insight into Melrose Trading Post

COLUMNISTS

Column: What’s all this squawk about? Parrots flock to Los Angeles

COLUMNISTS

Column: Inter(new)tional eats — Picky eating in a foreign country

COLUMNISTS

Ball’s in the wrong court: NCAA abuses student-athletes

COLUMNISTS

Column: Rocky Horror — A time warp during The Time Warp