7 Ways to Enjoy Mammoth on Warm Winter Days

Many people venture to Mammoth Mountain during the winter to either ski or snowboard. The ample snow makes these activities safe, and fun. But when spring approaches early, the mountain becomes abundant in rocks and disgruntled skiers. Mammoth Mountain offers other activities to do as you wait for the snowfall. Here is a list of 7 things to keep you busy when you’re on the mountain without snow.

1. Watch Netflix. Lots of Netflix.

2. Take Hikes. Tamarack Lodge offers mountain hiking and great amateur rock climbing, as well as delicious hot cocoa in the lodge.

Red Rock Canyon. Photographer: Haley Jamieson ‘16

3. Visit Red Rock Canyon. When there’s no snow, it offers great opportunities for picture-taking. Take a picnic—it’ll be a day trip or a good stop on the drive up from Los Angeles.

4. Visit the two-roomed movie theater in town. Pray you haven’t seen either movie yet.

5. Look for treasure. Use the app called Geocaching, which lists hidden treasures and gives clues to find them.

6. Go Ice Climbing. Even if the snow isn’t falling, the temperatures are. There are many small, winter glaciers in Mammoth. With the appropriate equipment, available to rent in town, you can dig in and climb up. Don’t forget gloves!

7. There’s always the hot tub. It’s a great spot to warm up after that glacier climb.

Featured Image: Tamarack Hiking Trail. Taken by: Haley Jamieson ’16