5 Tips to Survive May

It’s the beginning of May and the yearning for June begins. There are only four Mondays left in the 2013-2014 school year, yet students still long for June 5 when they can yell, “School’s out, scream and shout!” However, now is not the time. Not yet.

Students feel exhausted from working hard all year long and can’t wait for the big break. At this time, you may think that you have lost all motivation, but these steps should help you get back on track.

1) Focus
The satisfaction at the end of the year pays off. Just when you think you can’t take any more school work, push harder. Just when you think that you’ve lost all hope, think of your summer vacation or stay-cation. If you’re looking for a sign to not give up on your work, this is it.

2) Balance
Every good worker needs a lunch break. Even if you’re trying hard, don’t work for long hours without a break. Balance is key. Take time to relax—have a snack or watch a movie.

3) “Procrasti-Nation”
Teenagers occasionally procrastinate. Don’t join the enemy! Remember to stay on task. Taking notes for 30 minutes with no distractions is better than spending an hour on an assignment filled with mini trips to Facebook and Instagram.

4) Saving the “best for last” is a myth!
Last minute assignments are the absolute worst, especially when your grade depends on that assignment. School isn’t always about the final grade, but more so about the effort you put in. If you put in the effort, the good grade will come. Spread out the work for your projects so it doesn’t pile up.

5) Zzzleep
Finally, don’t cut away from your 7-8 hours of sleep and become a zombie the next day— remember to catch some zzz’s. This will help you fuel up for yet another successful day of hard work.