Meet the Candidate: Emma Golden ’19

1. Choose a leadership quote and in a short paragraph explain how it applies to your “style” of leadership and why.

“Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.

— John F. Kennedy

This quote from our former president relates directly with my leadership style because I like to base how I lead off of what is needed at the moment. I use feedback and talk to other students to figure out what needs to be done so that I can learn to fulfill my role in the best and most helpful way possible. I try my hardest never to just take control, but to step back and think about the best way to approach each situation while learning more every time. This is exactly what I will strive to do as member of the Executive Board.

2. As a student council member, what important goals would you have for Student Council? For Archer?

As a part of the Student Council Executive Board, I want Student Council to become even more involved in the affairs of each grade so that the overall student body is happier and paid more attention and care. I also want Student Council to make Archer the most lively and spirited school through a range of organized, exciting events held throughout the school year. I hope that Archer in turn becomes a more spirited, connected, and loving place that students feel proud to call their home.

Student Council Executive Board candidate Emma Golden’s yearbook photo.

3. What are your plans for increasing school spirit and student participation at Archer?

In order to increase school spirit and student participation, I want to collect feedback from all groups and students to ensure that events and activities are liked and exciting to everyone. I hope to integrate all different elements of dress; games; and teamwork in each event so that even the least athletic or most busy students will be able to participate. I also hope to make spirit points less important and encourage students to participate because it is fun instead of a competition.

4. What role(s) do you think Student Council should play at Archer? Is Student Council currently fulfilling that role? If not, what changes do you propose to make it happen?

I think that Student Council should be a voice for all students, ensuring that all of their needs are met and that the school year is enjoyable and fun. While I appreciate the current efforts in Student Council to fulfill this role, I also feel that we can work harder to pay attention to the needs of the student body and ensure that our activities and events cater to them.

5. Why do you want to be on Student Council, really?

I want to be on the Executive Board because I love being a leader and I have so much fun going to Archer that I want other students to cherish their time here as much as I do. In Student Council, I will be able to become a better leader and help others while making Archer the best, most exciting school it can be.