• May 10Breaking: Jenn Babin appointed as Dean of Students. Story to follow.

• April 24Gretchen Warner appointed interim upper school director 2017-2018. Stay tuned for further coverage.

Filed under FEATURES

New teaching fellow Allison Kays finds Archer girls ‘phenomenal’

Allison+Kays+is+the+new+teaching+fellow+at+Archer.+She+took+a+break+from+getting+her+PhD+to+teach+at+Archer.+
Allison Kays is the new teaching fellow at Archer. She took a break from getting her PhD to teach at Archer.

Photo by Nelly Rouzroch

Photo by Nelly Rouzroch

Meet the newest addition to the Archer faculty and staff: Allison Kays.

Kays moved to Los Angeles to attend graduate school at the University of Southern California. She is at USC completing her PhD in accounting but decided to take a break and pursue teaching.

“I really wanted to teach,” she said, “and kept thinking back to how much I loved school and being in an environment where everyone was learning.”

When she realized this, she took a step back and looking for a teaching job — that’s when she found Archer.

Kays was hired at the beginning of second semester as a teaching fellow. She teaches math and helps with math teacher Christopher Luzniak’s Integrated Math III class. She will also be running the “Sigma Field Cafe” on Tuesdays and Thursdays — an X-Block activity for upper schoolers to receive help with math. In addition, she substitutes when teachers are absent in a multitude of subjects: science, Spanish, French, ceramics, engineering and English.

Fast facts box about Allison Kays, Archer’s newest faculty member. Infographic made by Nelly Rouzroch ’18.

“The girls here are phenomenal — they are respectful and excited and always enthusiastic,” she said. “They are engaging — they listen and are so intelligent and always want to learn.”

As a teacher, Kays has set personal goals for herself.

“As a math teacher, I would love students to approach math in a way where it is a bigger learning experience,” she said. “For girls to see that math is valuable to them whether they become a mathematician or not.”

In an email Kays added that what drew her to Archer was the learning environment.

“Not only is Archer a place where the students are constantly growing and learning,” she wrote, “but it’s also a place where the school itself is constantly growing and learning, which is a really neat thing and something I wanted to be a part of.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “New teaching fellow Allison Kays finds Archer girls ‘phenomenal’”

1. Cybele Zhang on January 30th, 2017 6:28 pm

Thanks for telling us more about a new community member. Very interesting read!

[Reply]

2. Cat Oriel on January 31st, 2017 12:40 am

Welcome to Archer, Ms. Kays! And thanks for letting us get to know more about her, Nelly!!

[Reply]

• New teaching fellow Allison Kays finds Archer girls ‘phenomenal’

FEATURES

Alumnae share Archer’s impact on college experience

FEATURES

Food and the self: Changing attitudes towards eating disorders

FEATURES

Breaking the stigma: mental health on campus and in the culture

FEATURES

Maria Chavez’s journey to Archer

FEATURES

‘Writing was my salvation’: InsideOUT Writers brings creative writing to juvenile halls, changes lives

FEATURES

Archer girls ‘follow their passions’ in science honors research class

FEATURES

Lost Years: Remembering the Japanese Internment’s 75th anniversary

FEATURES

‘The enemy of my enemy is my friend’: how the rise of hate crimes is bonding Jews, Muslims

FEATURES

Despite challenges, BFA theater applicants put ‘heart and soul’ into college process

FEATURES

Slime trend encourages creativity, entrepreneurship