Channeling strength through adversity: California Superior Court Judge Bobbi Tillmon speaks on panel

Superior+Court+Judge+Bobbi+Tillmon+addresses+panel+attendees+Thursday%2C+Oct.+5.+The+Artemis+Center+hosted+the+panel+to+inspire+students+to+become+more+active+and+engaged+citizens.+Photo+by+Emma+Winkler.+
Superior Court Judge Bobbi Tillmon addresses panel attendees Thursday, Oct. 5. The Artemis Center hosted the panel to inspire students to become more active and engaged citizens. Photo by Emma Winkler.

Check your facts. When asked what she wishes L.A. residents knew about the justice system, Superior Court Judge Bobbi Tillmon encouraged citizens to fact-check information surrounding the system before coming to conclusions. Covering subjects ranging from confidence in the workplace to stories of wrongful incarcerations, Tillmon addressed a room of 22 people, a mix of faculty members and upper school students, during a panel Thursday, Oct. 5.

Artemis Center co-chairs Olivia Miro (’24) and Alexis David (’24), as well as Director of the Artemis Center Beth Gold hosted the panel.

As a superior court judge, Tillmon frequently handles cases involving major felonies. She also has the ability to declare sentences lasting any period of time to the state prison or the House of Correction.

Tillmon spoke about heightening civic engagement through goal-setting. She also touched on issues within the criminal justice system and how citizens can contribute to resolving them, a process she said goes beyond solely making blind assumptions about the system’s flaws.

“To me, it’s really not about finger-pointing what’s wrong with the system. The system can go wrong when individuals make mistakes, and we’re all human, and we’re going to make mistakes,” Tillmon said. “So, having the ability and mechanisms to maybe correct some of those mistakes — that’s important.”

Gold said she appreciated how Tillmon spoke on her experiences as a woman of color involved in law, and how her firsthand exposure to civil rights activism in the 1950s-60s inspired her to pursue a career in social justice.

“She talked about her own personal interests that led her to where she is today — being exposed to civil rights activism in the 50s and 60s, and that inspired her to think that she could make a change,” Gold said. “And that’s what the Artemis Center is all about, is exposing students to ways they can be change-makers and get involved in their communities.”

Sophomore Layla Negrin is interested in criminal law and attended Tillmon’s panel. Negrin said she specifically appreciated having the opportunity to hear about criminal justice from a judge’s perspective, rather than the media — as well as the emphasis Tillmon placed on embracing one’s interests and chasing inspiration. Additionally, when asked what part of Tillmon’s talk resonated with her, Negrin said Tillmon’s advocacy for acting on one’s interests was particularly impactful.

Tillmon speaks to her audience during the panel, explaining the concept of professional assertion. “You have to learn how to be assertive to make your point, but to do it in an appropriate way that’s civil but firm,” Tillmon said. (Photo credit: Emma Winkler)

“Pursue your interests, and let that lead the way,” Negrin said. “You can go somewhere and just decide to switch into a different career.”

Gold also said she found Tillmon’s points surrounding the relationship between humanity and making mistakes to be especially impactful.

“I also thought she was very human talking about we’re all fallible, we’re all human, and the more eyes and voices in the system, the better the system is going to work,” Gold said.

During the panel, Tillmon continuously highlighted the importance of embracing determination and possessing a growth mindset when working towards a goal, especially when met with challenges along the way.

“The message I always like to share is: Don’t let anything stop you from achieving your goals. I express that because there will be many obstacles; there will be many challenges, but as you face those challenges, that’s what makes you grow,” Tillmon said. “So, it’s important to take what you can from those experiences and be willing to turn that into something really positive to meet your goals — whatever your goals are.”