Black Student Union hosts ‘Young, Talented & Black,’ celebrates student artists

Photo credit: Meredith Ho
Harper Cox (’30), Milan Earl (’27), Ninu Alitoro (’29), Sydney Curry (’25), Selam Habtu (’28) and Lacey Thompson (’24) perform a step dance choreographed by Curry at the BSU’s “Young, Talented & Black” celebration Feb. 29. “The step dance — that was something that none of us actually knew how to do, but it was a matter of like, ‘Okay, we really want to do this,'” Curry said.

Archer’s Black Student Union immersed students and faculty alike in song, poetry and dance during their “Young, Talented & Black” arts festival Thursday, Feb. 29. Hosted in the courtyard, it was BSU’s second event to commemorate Black History Month, following their Taste of Soul lunch last week.

The celebration, which had been rescheduled from last February due to rain, showcased student performances of spoken-word poetry, step dancing, rap and singing. It followed the national Black History Month theme of “African Americans in the Arts” and took inspiration for the title from Nina Simone’s “To Be Young, Gifted and Black,” according to BSU co-president Sydney Curry (‘25). BSU student members introduced each act and provided context about the significance and history of the art style that followed. 

“In media, we see Black art a lot, but a lot of times, we don’t talk about the history behind it,” said Curry. “That’s why it was important not only just to have the acts, but to have the histories right before it, so that we had that contextual framing that’s just so important.”

Senior Sadie Long said she enjoyed the energy of the event and and how many different art styles students performed, as well as the opportunity to learn more about the Black community’s contributions to the arts.

“I really hope that they continue this [event] because it was just really, really cool to see,” Long said. 

Long also noted how impressive it was that seventh grader Elyse Harris performed a self-written rap. Harris said she has been interested in music since she was born, and she wrote her first song when she was 3. Her rap included references to her pride in the Black community as well as criticism of wealthy nations that have large populations of homeless and hungry people.

“I’m trying to celebrate Black art while subtly acknowledging the problems that there are in the world,” Harris said. “I felt like just knowing all the things that I care about a lot and putting that into my creations — that’s what I do with most of my raps, my songs. I’m trying to send a message that people actually wanted me to hear.”

Curry emphasized the importance of showing and supporting Black students in all art forms. She said that regardless of if they host the event again next year, highlighting Black artists will continue to be one of BSU’s priorities.

“I think especially by identifying Black artists in our community, not only are we able to learn more about each other, but I think we can better understand how deep the cultural impacts of Black art are,” Curry said. “You’re more able to understand not only the context of the art, but the history and the culture behind it.”