Filed under NEWS

High School Drama: Archer’s theater troupe performs ‘cute,’ ‘satirical’ scenes

From boyfriends to bunnies: Archer's Drama Queens provided three skits at lunch on Friday, Jan. 18. Drama Queens is an elective course.

Photo credit: Allie Worchell

Photo credit: Allie Worchell

Photo credit: Allie Worchell

On Friday, Jan. 18, Archer’s theater troupe, the Drama Queens, performed their second show of the year. The performance featured three acts: “Are You My Boyfriend?”, “The Bunny Who Wanted to Go to Harvard” and “Marlon Bundo.”

Senior Caroline Ediger has been a member of the Drama Queens for two years. She acted as an admissions officer and owl in “The Bunny Who Wanted To Go To Harvard,” which humorously discussed the societal and familial pressures around applying to college. 

“We wanted to bring some love and some laughter to some tough topics, such as college,” Ediger said. “We did a performance that was based on satirical versions of children’s books. And we wanted to give people an opportunity to relax before finals.”

Similarly, sophomore Lily Price always looked up to the Drama Queens and knew she wanted to be a part of the theater program since she was in middle school. Price narrated one scene from the perspective of a British bunny, and was also in “The Bunny Who Wanted To Go to Harvard.” 

“It’s fun parodies. We’re all in our pajamas, and we’re all animals, and it’s really cute,” Price said.  

Senior Livia Blum has been a part of Drama Queens for two years. In this performance, she played the girl in “Are You My Boyfriend?”, a parody of the popular children’s book “Are You My Mother?“. The scene includes discussion of heteronormative archetypes. 

“It’s a way to get the entire Archer community to de-stress with us,” she said. “Sometimes theater is really good for spreading messages, of course, but I think it’s also just nice to help people laugh.”

2018 alumna Sophie Evans-Katz came back for the performance. After seeing all the acting, she was reminiscent of what Archer taught her about making bold choices. 

“I saw people that I didn’t know acted [doing] way more [of it] than I’ve seen in the past,” Evans-Katz said. “[I noticed] people pushing themselves that usually wouldn’t, and seeing that was beautiful.”

About the Writer
Allie Worchell, Multimedia Editor

Allie Worchell joined The Oracle writing staff in 2017.  This year she is excited to be a member of the editorial board as the Multimedia Editor.  In...