Filed under OPINION, SHOWCASE, VOICES

Op-Ed: #PelosiClap — Nancy Pelosi’s sarcastic clapping just stole Trump’s show

Speaker+of+the+House+Democrat+Nancy+Pelosi+claps+after+one+of+Trump%27s+remarks+with+Mike+Pence+to+her+left+at+the+State+of+the+Union+Address++in+Washington+D.C.+on+Feb.+5.+At+another+point+in+the+speech%2C+Pelosi+clapped+in+a+way+that+many+interpreted+as+sarcastic.+Trump+has+not+responded+to+the+virality+of+Pelosi%27s+gesture.+

Speaker of the House Democrat Nancy Pelosi claps after one of Trump's remarks with Mike Pence to her left at the State of the Union Address  in Washington D.C. on Feb. 5. At another point in the speech, Pelosi clapped in a way that many interpreted as sarcastic. Trump has not responded to the virality of Pelosi's gesture.

Speaker of the House Democrat Nancy Pelosi claps after one of Trump's remarks with Mike Pence to her left at the State of the Union Address in Washington D.C. on Feb. 5. At another point in the speech, Pelosi clapped in a way that many interpreted as sarcastic. Trump has not responded to the virality of Pelosi's gesture.

Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons

Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons

Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons

Speaker of the House Democrat Nancy Pelosi made Trump’s Feb. 5 State of the Union Address a little more bearable after she managed to undermine Trump with just a few seconds of sarcastic clapping.  

Trump confidently called for the rejection of “politics of revenge, resistance and retribution” and the embrace of “the boundless potential of cooperation, compromise and the common good” as Vice President Mike Pence proudly clapped for his president. However, Pelosi, sitting to the Pence’s left, stuck her hands out abruptly and swiftly clapped with pursed lips, as if applauding a toddler who has just used the toilet by himself for the first time after months of trying.

Pelosi said that this literal clap back at the President was nothing of the sort, instead telling reporters that her gesture “wasn’t sarcastic.”

“Look at what I was applauding,” Pelosi said. “I wanted him to know that [the remark] was very welcomed.”

However, due to many viewers interpreting the clap as perfectly-timed mockery, Pelosi has unintentionally turned herself into a viral meme scattered all over Twitter and Instagram. The #PelosiClap is now an official GIF, with many Twitter users utilizing the clip to deliver messages ranging from feminist statements to movie references

Pelosi’s 52-year-old daughter, Christine Pelosi, brilliantly used the GIF of her mom’s clapping to give her Twitter followers an insight on her teen years by tweeting: “ – oh yes that clap took me back to the teen years. She knows. And she knows that you know. And frankly she’s disappointed that you thought this would work. But here’s a clap.

Even if Pelosi did not mean anything malicious by her actions, she created one of the most iconic moments in any State of the Union Address without uttering a word. A female Democrat just surpassed you during your own speech by clapping her hands. Better luck next time, Trump.

About the Writer
Lola Lamberg, Voices Editor

Lola Lamberg joined the Oracle in 2017 as a political columnist and is now the Voices Editor. In her spare time she enjoys listening to 90's music, reading...