#InclusiveReporting: The Oracle diversity audit reveals how unique perspectives ‘highlight stories hidden in the everyday’

Photo credit: Hestia’s Flame Yearbook staff

Many of the current 2022-2023 staff of The Oracle sit for an all-staff photo. As the newsroom has increased in size, The Oracle created a diversity audit to examine the demographics that make up the publication.

By Maia Alvarez, Features Editor

“How important is diversity and inclusion in reporting?” is one of the essential questions the Journalism Education Association asks high school journalists to ponder. For the third day of Scholastic Journalism Week, the theme was #InclusiveReporting. Honoring this focus, The Oracle completed a diversity audit of its staff to reflect on the different demographics that make up their newsroom. 

Since the start of The Oracle, the publication has grown in staff size. Out of 25 staff members, 21 responded to the diversity audit. The data showed that 52.4% of the 2022-2023 staff members identify as people of color. Features Editor Lizette Gonzalez (’23), who identifies as Latine, said her identity helps her find the gaps in The Oracle’s reporting. 

“I feel like finding people to interview — [it] can be as simple as that — that aren’t all of the same perspective, just to make sure we are their amplifying voices even in topics that are not DEI [is important],” Gonzalez said. “That’s the goal: making sure that we are amplifying voices for every piece. Not only tokenizing people of color for articles that are only about them.” 

Outside of racial diversity, 23.8% respondents stated they receive flexible tuition at Archer, and 14.3% are a part of the LGBTQ+ community. For religious affiliation, the three religions highlighted in The Oracle’s staff are Christianity, Judaism and Hinduism, and 26.3% of the staff listed none. 

According to the audit, some cognitive or mental disabilities reporters are impacted by include dyslexia, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, anxiety, depression and attention-deficit and hyperactivity disorder. Respondents said their neurodiversity gives them a “sensitive lens” when reporting. 

History teacher and adviser for the Executive Board of Advocacy and Diversity Dr. Elana Goldbaum said she believes in progress over perfectionism with representation. 

“I am sure that if I looked at The Oracle today, I would find a perspective that’s missing. I would find a lingering question or voice that wasn’t explored. That doesn’t mean that there isn’t diversity there represented,” Goldbaum said. “We’ll always be in a process of exploring diversity because it changes. I don’t think 10 years ago, neurodiversity was really part of the conversation, and now it is. I think that’s the beauty in doing self-audits regularly because there’s always going to be something where it’s like ‘Oh I need to include this more. I need to explore this bias.’”

In the audit, The Oracle’s staff shared explanations of how different aspects of their identities have allowed them to use their unique voices as reporters. These included statements about how their identity allows them to represent a previously marginalized group in the newsroom, having an eye for empathy and having a larger number of connections to various stories. According to journalism adviser Kristin Taylor, new staff reporters have told her they were inspired to join The Oracle because of the representation shown in the publication.

“That, to me is … the epitome of why diversity is so important because if you see yourself represented, then you feel like you belong,” Taylor said. “Even if someone hadn’t gone on to become a reporter on the Oracle, I love it when someone comes and says ‘I saw myself, and that tells me that you think my story is important.’”

Students from past and current staffs have written stories that showcases a variety of demographics. In alignment with The Oracle’s mission, reporters said they hope to continue writing authentic stories that seek the truth and honor the diverse identities on staff. 

“Not just our school, not just our city, but our society in general is so diverse, so colorful, and it’s really important that all of those different identities are being represented,” Staff Reporter Lola Thomas (’26) said. “People who feel like they don’t have a voice or feel like their value is diminished because of their identity can see that is being celebrated and that is being represented. That’s really special.”