Annual Color Clash brings community together despite heat

Photo credit: Lola Thomas
Senior Lacey Thomson prepares to pitch a kickball. Seniors and faculty competed in Color Clash Oct. 6, an annual competitive game to raise school spirit. The seniors and faculty played kickball, where they tied 2-2.

During a sunny 92-degree day in Los Angeles, seniors and faculty turned up the heat even more for the annual Color Clash game Friday, Oct. 6. During previous Color Clash events, seniors and faculty played games, such as volleyball and capture the flag — this year, they played kickball. Student Council members served limeade and snacks in hopes of keeping everyone cool.

The faculty and seniors tied 2-2 in the kickball game. The faculty led the black team by wearing black clothes. The team included students in seventh, ninth and 11th grade. Led by the seniors, students in sixth, eighth and 10th grade comprised the green team. They similarly represented their team by wearing green.

Executive Board member Laila Charles (’24) said she enjoys getting to plan Student Council events like Color Clash and raising school spirit.

“[Student Council] is mainly the bridge between students and faculty,” Charles said. “We really bring the spirit to campus and make sure every student has a chance to have fun.”

Tenth grade class representative Selah Johnson (’26) said she and the rest of the Student Council members were determined to make Color Clash as enjoyable as possible amid the heat.

“We were having a great time helping everyone, but I understand it’s really hot out here,” Johnson said. “I just think everyone’s excited to be here.”

Those who represented their team color or held up signs during the kickball game Student Council members handed out tickets. The tickets collected throughout Color Clash are then counted as spirit points, which are accumulated over the school year. Johnson said Student Council is adopting a new system for counting points fairly.

“Each grade has their own color that everyone knows. As 10th grade reps, we cannot pass out tickets to 10th graders,” Johnson said. “We have to distribute tickets to people in other grades to give a fair opportunity to everyone to get spirit points.”

Sixth grader Clem Jacobson said she was excited to participate in her first Color Clash and represent her team.

“I’ve been doing a lot of screaming and cheering today — I went crazy and bought a lot of green stuff because I’ve really been looking forward to this,” Jacobson said.

Students decked out in green cheer for the seniors during Color Clash Oct. 6. “From what I can tell, it seems like everyone has a lot of spirit this year — I think our team will do really well,” freshman Ari Borstein said.  (Photo credit: Lola Thomas)

Freshman Ari Borstein said a highlight of Color Clash was getting to enjoy the festivities with her grade. She said being on the black team with her peers and sharing her school spirit with everyone was enjoyable.

“I’ve included my friends to try and get them in spirit, too,” Borstein said. “Looking around, I definitely feel like our grade has a lot more spirit this year.”

Charles said the seniors were motivated to win Color Clash this year since the previous senior class lost to the faculty last year. She said her position as a member of the executive board entails helping the rest of her grade enjoy the final year of high school.

“Our seniors are very spirited right now and very competitive,” Charles said. “We all really want to win because bragging rights come with that, and it’s hard beating the faculty.”

Johnson said she was grateful students and faculty made an effort to show school spirit despite the hot weather. She said Color Clash is a testament to how dedicated the Archer community is to uplifting each other.

“I know a lot of people were swayed not to come because of the heat, but I’m very grateful to everyone who did since the Student Council put a lot of effort into this, ” Johnson said. “Everyone showing up really makes our work pay off.”