• June 1Archer Oracle will be on hiatus during summer break. Regular coverage will resume in September.

Review: Lil Uzi Vert performs short, entertaining concert

Lil+Uzi+Vert+concert+on+Friday+Feb.+2%2C+at+the+Shrine+Expo+Hall+near+USC.++Many+people+were+recording+and+taking+pictures+on+their+phones.+
Lil Uzi Vert concert on Friday Feb. 2, at the Shrine Expo Hall near USC.  Many people were recording and taking pictures on their phones.

Lil Uzi Vert concert on Friday Feb. 2, at the Shrine Expo Hall near USC. Many people were recording and taking pictures on their phones.

Photo by Sivan Ellman

Photo by Sivan Ellman

Huddled together, 5,000 people stood staring up at the stage. Streaks of red, yellow and blue zoomed around the Shrine Expo Hall. Fans waited a long time because Lil Uzi Vert, on his 16*29 tour, arrived to his own concert 45 minutes late.  

However, this delay didn’t stop the crowds from leaving, and Lil Uzi Vert finally made an appearance around 10:15. Jumping onto the stage, Lil Uzi Vert took the microphone, and the concert-goers began singing and screaming his name.

Vert, whose birth name is Symere Woods, is an American hip hop recording artist who got his big start with his debut single, “Money Longer,” which was released in 2017. He was born in Philadelphia on July 31, 1994.  He collaborated with Migos on the song “Bad and Boujee,” which was Billboard Hot 100’s number 1 single last year. 

The original 16*29 tour included Lil Uzi Vert and Playboi Carti, but at the last minute, Playboi Carti dropped out. Lil Uzi Vert continued on his own with revised dates. People are still unsure as to why Playboi Carti dropped out, but on Oct. 19, the day after the cancellation was announced, Lil Uzi Vert tweeted “Not going on tour wit Carti, need to focus??”  

Although it took over an hour for Lil Uzi Vert to actually appear on stage, the show itself was anything but disappointing. He kept the audience engaged the entire time, and concertgoers were dancing, screaming and singing along to his words. He was able to engage the audience in a way that very few performers can. 

While I had heard Lil Uzi’s top songs on Spotify, I was not very familiar with his music. Although I was worried it wouldn’t be as fun for me since I’m not particularly well-versed in his songs, it was not a let down at all. In fact, I had a great time dancing and singing. When he blasted his number one single XO Tour Lif3, the audience went wild and called for an encore. 

Overall, his performance was extremely energetic and engaging. If you are someone who gravitates toward slow Indie or pop music, this concert might not be for you. However, if you enjoy intense rap, Lil Uzi Vert should absolutely be your next concert. 

The only disappointing aspect of the show was how short it was. The tickets, which I bought late, cost $78; originally, the tickets were $40. Lil Uzi only performed for about 45 minutes, and for me, going to a concert for less than an hour for $78 isn’t exactly how I like to spend my money.

Despite the short run time and long delays, the concert was ultimately an exciting and interesting experience. I would definitely go again. Next time, though, I would buy the tickets earlier for a cheaper price and arrive at the concert a little later.

About the Writer
Allie Worchell, Staff Writer
Allie Worchell joined The Oracle writing staff in 2017.  She is on the Debate Team and Community Service Board as well as the co-president of Human Rights Watch Student Task Force.  Out of school she is a volunteer at Teen Line through Cedar Sinai Hospital.  In her free time she loves reading, traveling and spending...