Column: American youth is craving justice more than ever

Image of the American flag. American youth now more then ever are using their voices for change and justice. Image source: NASA.

The survivors of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Florida are demanding change and more laws against gun violence by campaigning against the NRA and organizing marches, including the March for Our Lives. All of these survivors that desire a better future are all teenagers. Generation Z and millennials of today’s world have some of the loudest voices society has ever heard. From politics to major social issues, America’s youth has a craving for justice and a demand for change that is shaping the future of the United States.

One of the main ways today’s youth is able to make such an impact on our world is through social media and organizations that are giving a platform for this generation to speak out. Tomi Lahren, a fiery Republican commentator is utilizing social media and her television presence on Fox News to speak directly to America. With her segment on Fox News entitled “Final Thoughts,” Lahren discusses her strong opinions on topics such as appreciation for the constitution and President Trump and dislike for “Democratic snowflakes.” Even though I may never agree with a single thing the feisty blonde from South Dakota says, I respect that a 25-year-old young woman can go on live television and express her opinions on and future aspirations for America freely.

I believe that youth having an opinion on a social issue is one of the greatest strengths you can carry as then, youth are enacted to make changes for the better in our modern society. However, expressing that opinion can be challenging for students, as their voices are often not listened to. That is why we need organizations like High School Democrats of America and, its Republican equivalent, Turning Point U.S.A. — which both serve as a platform for Democratic and Republican high school students to speak out on. 

By encouraging young activists to get involved in a political party, HSDA is creating an environment in which the next generation is set up to make lasting cultural changes. Similar to our own Oracle website, HSDA is entirely student-run and has blogs such as The Progressive Teen, which has numerous political articles all written by high school students. This is why I value the HSDA, The Oracle and other student-run news sites because not only does it create a voice for teenagers like me, but it forces authority to listen.

America is currently being transformed by a new wave of political activists, and it is amazing how much youth has accomplished in the past few years. A personal favorite Gen Z activist of mine is Yara Shahidi, an 18-year-old actress known for her starring role on ABC’s Black-ish. Using her entertainment platform for good, Shahidi has brought attention to the importance of girls education by working with Michelle Obama’s Let Girls Learn initiative (which earned her a college recommendation letter from the former first lady, might I add). Working towards a more diverse Hollywood, bettering girls education and being chosen for Forbes 30 Under 30 Hollywood — all while attending Harvard, Shahidi is a perfect example of modern youth craving a better future. 

When asked what her greatest achievement is in an interview with Forbes, Shahidi said “Shifting the perception of what is deemed possible within my generation of actors and entertainers as it pertains to societal contribution.”

Many in my generation are tired of the injustice and lack of humility in America. Fresh, strong opinions about the future of the U.S. are forming, and that is what society needs to make America a better place. Our youth will be the ones to make sure no one gets shot in a school again and no one is discriminated against for being who they are.