‘A little experiment on color’: Eastern Star Gallery opens interactive exhibit ‘Drunk Tank Pink’

Photo credit: Gemma Wyles

Sophomore Lacey Thompson visits the Eastern Star Gallery exhibit “Drunk Tank Pink.” Junior Olivia Torrington spearheaded the show that explores a shade of pink and its calming effects.

By Greta Irvine, Editor in Chief

The Archer campus is known for its red roofs, white walls and sprouting greenery, so the pink spectacle that is the Eastern Star Gallery is sure to stand out. The interactive exhibit “Drunk Tank Pink” opened to the community on Jan. 25 and was designed and installed by junior Olivia Torrington. As the second Eastern Star Gallery exhibit of the 2021-2022 school year, “Drunk Tank Pink” contrasts with the previous exhibit, “Rock,” with its emphasis on experience rather than objects.

The exhibit explores the color pink in the shade Drunk Tank Pink, following the research of Alexander Schauss who found that the bubblegum shade of pink has physiologically calming and anxiety-reducing effects.

“I had heard about [the color] years ago, and I always thought it was really interesting how a color — such a bright vibrant fun pink — could have such an intense reaction in the human brain,” Torrington said. “So I wanted to make a place for students to relax at school and thought about how it could be done in a weird, interesting and fun way. This is it.”

To explore the color in the gallery, Torrington, with the help of the Eastern Star Gallery members, painted the walls a comprehensive shade of Drunk Tank Pink and spray painted objects such as flowers and books to populate the room.

“I like that it’s about a color. I like the concept behind just exploring a color and how a color affects people,” art teacher and Director of the Eastern Star Gallery Chad Attie said. “It’s so simple in so many ways, and that’s part of what I appreciate about it.”

It allows you to view the world from an other worldly pink place.

— Gemma Wyles

Putting emphasis on student engagement in the gallery exhibit, Torrington placed sticky notes on the walls prompting visitors to draw a picture, write a poem or describe how the exhibit made them feel. Blankets on the floor and a couch in the gallery invited students to sit down and relax as they experienced “Drunk Tank Pink.”

“I just want to make it a place for students,” Torrington said. “A place not only for them to sit and do homework, but for them to interact and be a part of it.”

Torrington included a playlist to accompany the installation as well as brochures that detailed the concept behind the show. Junior Alyssa Ponrartana visited the gallery when it opened at lunch and described her admiration for the experience.

“I really appreciate the color. I know it’s a psychological project, but it works,” Ponrartana said. “I was talking to my friends [about how] we really love when the gallery turns into something that you can spend time in — that’s interactive.”

The exhibit is open throughout the entire school day for students to stop by and engage with the show. Attie explained how he hopes students approach the exhibit when they visit.

“I think that once they go into the space, the key is you got to be open and experience it,” Attie said. “Once you’re in there, and you’re surrounded by it and there’s a prompt to sort of connect to how you’re feeling, I think [then] people will come away with some awareness that color does have some effect on them, and maybe they didn’t realize that before. This is like a little experiment on color.”

“Drunk Tank Pink” will be open to students until Feb. 3. Eastern Star Gallery member Gemma Wyles said she was excited for the transportive show.

“It’s a really great space to just sit and enjoy [and] separate yourself from Archer,” Wyles said. “It allows you to view the world from an otherworldly pink place.”