Best matcha drinks, flavor combinations from a Starbucks barista

Photo credit: Cadence Callahan

After a busier shift than normal, my apron would be covered with splatters of various creams, caramels and syrups. Throughout my time working at Starbucks, I have experimented with numerous ingredients and have discovered some of the best matcha-incorporated beverages.

By Cadence Callahan, Voices Editor

The strong scent of espresso, remnants of the whipped cream that exploded on my apron and sticky hands from various syrups. This is what I look and smell like after an average shift at Starbucks. Given the irony that I am not a coffee drinker, I will share my favorite matcha drinks my coworkers and I have concocted throughout my three months working there.

Matcha Frappuccino made with heavy cream and toasted vanilla syrup:

The Matcha Frappuccino made with heavy cream and two pumps of toasted vanilla syrup. Photo credit: Cadence Callahan

This deliciously creamy frappuccino will change. your. life. While the average Starbucks Frappuccino is made with whole milk, substituting it for heavy cream will give the illusion you’re drinking a caffeinated milkshake. The first time I had the pleasure of drinking this delectable beverage was when I was working a later shift and desperately needed a sweet pick me up. While this combination wasn’t my idea, I have since forth recommended it to everyone I know. The dynamic taste of the matcha pairs perfectly with the toasted vanilla syrup, giving the drink an almost nutty flavor profile. Out of all of the drinks on this list, this one is by far my favorite.

The matcha tea latte made with oat milk and two pumps of chai. Photo credit: Cadence Callahan

Iced matcha green tea latte with oat milk and chai.

A drink that’s almost entirely matcha and milk. Sign me up! The contrast between the rich matcha and creamy oat milk is a match made in heaven. And with the chai, this drink is the perfect, sweet energizer. This is the latte of all lattes and is the perfect drink for the summer. Similar to the Matcha Frappuccino, this brilliant combination was recommended to me, and I couldn’t be more grateful. This beverage has become my go-to, and with a Starbucks so close to campus, I have become a familiar face with this recognizable order.

The iced brown sugar oat milk shaken espresso with vanilla sweet cream cold foam and matcha incorporated into the foam. Photo credit: Cadence Callahan

Iced brown sugar oat milk shaken espresso with vanilla sweet cream cold foam and matcha:

Despite not being a fan of coffee, the iced brown-sugar oat milk shaken espresso is the one drink that makes me rethink that statement. The sweet brown sugar syrup and the smooth oat milk pairs incredibly with the blonde espresso. The addition of the vanilla sweet cream cold foam and matcha will blow your mind, and after tasting this combination, you’ll be mad that you hadn’t tried it sooner.

I hope you give some of these drinks and combinations a try. Whether you love matcha or haven’t tried it, these will soon become your favorite refreshments and the reason why you’re bouncing off the walls at 2:00 a.m.