Students present on Nowruz, Ramadan, construct Haft-Sin table

Photo credit: Rose Sarner

Fruits, grass, a mirror, cookies and sweet treats sit on Archer’s haft-seen table, which is created to celebrate Nowruz, the Persian New Year. This display and the presentation informed Archer students about this holiday.

By Rose Sarner, Culture Editor

A Haft-Sin table returned to Archer for a second year to celebrate Nowruz, the Persian New Year. In addition to the table, students presented on Nowruz and Ramadan during Culture and Community Block. Upper and middle school students reported to the Zeller Student Center Monday, March 20, and Tuesday, March 21, to learn about Nowruz and Ramadan. These two March holidays originated in Middle Eastern countries and are celebrated by Muslims and Persians around the world.

According to Encyclopedia Britannica, Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, and it is observed by Muslims worldwide as a month of fasting, prayer and reflection. Ramadan began the evening of Wednesday, March 22, and concluded on the evening of Thursday, April 20.

Senior Mina Muhammad identifies as Muslim and celebrates Ramadan with her family every year. During the discussion, Muhammad led a presentation on what Ramadan is and how it is celebrated and her family’s unique traditions.

“I loved sharing my family’s traditions through pictures and visuals because it allows viewers to better understand an entirely new culture to them,” Muhammad said. “I was able to answer audience members’ questions, which made me feel excited that people were taking an interest in my culture. I felt seen and heard.”

Delara Tehranchi (‘23), Layla Tehranchi (‘24), Noor Afshar (‘23), Lexi Horizon (‘23), Chloe Terani (‘23) and Charlotte Kamdar (‘27) presented about Nowruz, which is the Iranian and Persian New Year celebrated worldwide. It is a festival based on the Iranian Solar Hijri calendar, during the spring equinox March 20-21.

All presenters identify as Persian and celebrate Nowruz with their families. During the presentation they shared the history of Nowruz and common foods eaten to signify the new year. They finished with a game of Kahoot as a recap to the topics presented on.

“Sharing my culture with Archer, especially through one of my favorite Persian holidays, was a very special experience,” Layla Tehranchi said. “It was so incredible to be able to extend my Iranian identity to my Archer sisters.”

Student presenters created a Haft-Sin table, which families construct in their homes during Nowruz. A Haft-Sin table includes seven traditional ingredients that all start with the Farsi letter S such as Sabzeh, wheatgrass or lentil sprouts, Samanu, a sweet pudding, and Senjed, dried fruit. Afshar said this table offers an opportunity for Archer students to learn about Nowruz in a more interactive and visual way.

“Not only was presenting about Nowruz very fun and exciting, but the experience allowed me to share the knowledge I have learned as a young child and through my life,” Afshar said. “There is something so powerful about sharing one’s own experiences with a broader audience. It gives everyone an ability to learn about a new culture through someone else’s story.”

This year, the Archer administration has designated Culture and Community blocks to highlight cultural and current events, emphasizing the importance of making every student’s experiences heard. Past presentations have included Holi, Diwali, International Holocaust Remembrance Day and Hispanic Heritage Month.

“Being able to present about our own personal cultures and traditions at Archer allows for us to showcase a beautiful and diverse tapestry of cultures,” Layla Tehranchi said. “Not only do they make up our world, but our very own community on campus.”