Archer students share service passions at third annual Community Service Fair

Ruby+Horton+21+signs+up+to+volunteer+with+the+Los+Angeles+Rabbit+Foundation.+Natalie+Grant+19+ran+the+booth%2C+sharing+her+passion+for+the+furry+creatures+with+the+whole+Archer+community.+

Photo credit: Maya Wernick

Ruby Horton ’21 signs up to volunteer with the Los Angeles Rabbit Foundation. Natalie Grant ’19 ran the booth, sharing her passion for the furry creatures with the whole Archer community.

Although community service hours are no longer required, the 27 booths at the third annual community service fair highlighted Archer girls’ continued passion for service.

This year’s fair on Friday, Oct. 20 featured booths, each run by at least one Archer student, which revolved around the different service projects that students do.

In order to get a booth at the fair, students had to fill out an application, create a poster and a sign-up sheet and make a slide which was projected in the Dining Hall during the event.

Students volunteered to have booths so they could advertise, promote and share their community service passions.

Archer no longer requires students to complete a certain number of service hours, but about 90 percent of tenth grade students surveyed last year reported that they still do service anyway, said Meg Shirk during a presentation on Archer’s service initiatives. Shirk created Archer’s service learning curriculum which the classes of 2019, 2020 and 2021 have used in their history classes.

Look at the gallery below to see moments from the fair. 

• Sage Brand-Wolf ’19 and Ella Dodd ’19 share their service project, Heal the Bay. Heal the Bay organizes beach cleanups all around Southern California.

Photo credit: Maya Wernick
  • Bea Freeman ’19 talks to Caitlin Mosch ’18 about her service work at the Skirball Cultural Center. Students were encouraged to sign up at the fair for projects that they were interested in or passionate about.

Photo credit: Maya Wernick
  • Emily DeLossa ’20 and Isabella Silvers ’20 proudly share information on The Giving Spirit. Silvers and DeLossa work on the board for middle and high school outreach the organization which provides kits to the homeless people of Los Angeles.

Photo credit: Maya Wernick
  • Alex Bazarsky ’19 shares about Project Angel Food, an organization that makes and serves meals to the homeless. Bazarsky also presented her project at an upper school Community Connections which highlighted five different students and their organizations.

Photo credit: Maya Wernick
  • Erica Dick ’18, Sophie Goldberg ’18 and Noa Diamond ’18 pose while providing music for the fair. Diamond, who went by the nickname DJ Diamond for the lunch period, played music during the event, while also calling up different booths to promote and advertise their organization.

Photo credit: Maya Wernick