Filed under OPINION, VOICES

Letter from the Editor: Farewell to a big 2017

Grace Dieveney '21, adviser Kristin Taylor, Cybele Zhang '18, Maya Wernick '18 and Nelly Rouzroch '18 collect our fourth place award at the JEA/NSPA conference. This year's convention was held in Dallas and had the theme

Grace Dieveney '21, adviser Kristin Taylor, Cybele Zhang '18, Maya Wernick '18 and Nelly Rouzroch '18 collect our fourth place award at the JEA/NSPA conference. This year's convention was held in Dallas and had the theme "Go Big." Image courtesy of Taylor.

Happy new year, Archer community!

As second semester commences, I thought it fitting to reflect back on an eventful first semester. In November, publications staff traveled to the JEA/NSPA Fall National High School Journalism Convention in Dallas, Texas. The convention’s theme was “Go Big,” and, for me, that encompasses the entirety of first semester.

It seems like only yesterday that I put on my blazer for Orientation Day and wrote my first Letter from the Editor. The past few months have gone by incredibly fast, but it was certainly a notable period of change and achievements.

The Oracle has been active covering historic events in the Archer community, while tackling journalism in the real world. Since August, we’ve been documenting unique moments at Archer including a dance master class led by “Hamilton” cast members and the school’s first CIF-SS championship — this one in volleyball. The Oracle has kept the community updated on Archer Forward construction and has bid farewell to both the Blackbox and Eastern Star Gallery.

With so much change occurring on campus, The Oracle is evolving, too. This year our staff not only dove into journalism at Archer, but explored greater Los Angeles and the nation. The Oracle was featured in The Palisadian Post, and publications classes toured the Los Angeles Times‘ historic Downtown building. In November, I even covered a Texas state championship football game

But even a semester full of highs had its heartbreaks. Nearby fires forced our school to close for three days, but our community came back stronger than ever. It warmed by heart to see Archer families opening their homes to displaced Archer sisters. I hope this spirit of generosity and love, to borrow from this year’s theme, carries through into second semester.

As for The Oracle, look out for more multimedia and opinion pieces as the semester progresses. We also hope to incorporate interactive elements like quizzes and polls.

If you ever feel like your voice isn’t heard, feel free to let us know by contacting [email protected] or submit a Letter to the Editor; we love your feedback.

2017 was certainly a big year, but I’m looking forward to seeing what 2018 will offer. I hope my last semester as an Archer girl is the best yet!

Amor vincit omnia (love conquers all),

Cybele Zhang

Editor-in-Chief 2017-2018

Cybele Zhang, Editor-in-Chief

Cybele Zhang joined the Oracle writing staff in 2015. She was promoted to Sports Editor as a sophomore and to Editor-in-Chief as a senior. Over the summer...