Meet the Candidate: Juliet Youssef ’19

1. Choose a leadership quote and in a short paragraph explain how it applies to your “style” of leadership and why.

To handle yourself, use your head; to handle others, use your heart” – Eleanor Roosevelt

Throughout my Arrow Week experience this year, I was working on my leadership skills and learning more about myself and how to collaborate with others. One activity that really stuck with me was The Leadership Style Assessment which helped me discover many traits I did not know I had, but it also made me realize how different leadership styles are what create great change and help many instead of one specific group of people. I would most identify my leadership style as a “spontaneous motivator”. I love voicing my opinion and filling people with energy and happiness. I am also very passionate about school and I love Student Council; I believe that nothing can get done without motivation, determination, and a love for what you are doing. This quote also explains the most important part of being a leader: compassion. My love for Archer and my care for the happiness of the student body and faculty/administration can help make school more unified and also make sure that everyone has a chance to have their voice be heard.

2. As a student council member, what important goals would you have for Student Council? For Archer?

I would love for Student Council to have more small events throughout the school year instead of a couple big events; I have definitely seen this improvement this year with events such as Color Wars and Archella, and I want to continue to build on this progress and give the student body more chances to receive spirit points and just have fun.

I also really want Archer to be filled with spirit throughout the whole school year; I also want an environment where no one feels forced to have spirit, but they actually want to and the spirit is incorporated in the daily environment. I would also love for Archer events, such as sports games and performances (theater, dance, music, etc.), to be filled with Archer students who have enthusiasm and are there to support their fellow comrades.

I believe that having a spirited school will foster an inclusive environment where everyone, no matter the grade, feels comfortable and has fun every day.

3. What are your plans for increasing school spirit and student participation at Archer?

I think a lot of the time Archer girls simply do not know that there is an Archer event taking place, therefore not many show up. I think the first step of increasing participation would be to make sure that the school knows what they can participate in. I plan to do so by keeping social media sites, such as the Archer Student Council Instagram, up and running to remind/inform the students of upcoming events as well as sending emails and verbally spreading the news with enthusiasm. If people are excited to participate and if those people spread the excitement to their friends, then eventually participation will be the norm. I also would like to take into consideration the fact that many Archer girls are very busy and have a pact schedule, so I think planning events that occur during lunches/x-block will give more girls the opportunity to participate since many cannot attend after school events.

To increase school spirit, I always want to be spirited myself so I can lead by example. I would love to plan more opportunities for students to win spirit points. By planning events/tasks that students enjoy, the more student participation there will be and then there will be more spirit. I would also love to have spirit points on a more daily/weekly basis instead of winning them at planned events. For example, on formal dress days, the grade who has the most people dressed correctly would win spirit points. I also think creating a specific “rule book” on how to win spirit points would be helpful since many students don’t exactly know how to win spirit points.

4. What role(s) do you think Student Council should play at Archer? Is Student Council currently fulfilling that role? If not, what changes do you propose to make it happen?

I believe that Student Council should be the link between the student body and the administration/faculty; Student Council should communicate the needs of the students and work on ways to improve the community. They should also keep the community energetic and full of school spirit through school activities while also leading by example. The students should also feel comfortable approaching a member of Student Council with theirs needs, feedback, and ideas. Overall, Student Council makes school a better place with a loving environment.

I truly believe that Student Council is currently fulfilling that role; I have had the wonderful opportunity to be one of the members this school year. There have been so many new events and changes that have bonded the school together and raised the energy and spirit of all, Everyone on Student Council is understanding, helpful, and genuinely cares about the welfare of the school.

5. Why do you want to be on Student Council, really?

I love school and I think Student Council is a great way to get involved in the community and have a role in the “behind the scenes” part of Archer. I also think being a part of Student Council can make a huge impact in the school and it’s a great way to accomplish certain visions that I have for the school. I also believe that my enthusiasm and determination can be very useful and that I can handle new situations with composure and a positive attitude. Student Council is also like having a second family and being surrounded with people who all have the same goals and who all care about Archer.